- An Identity Card for Foreign Nationals can be applied for by persons who are in possession of a current residence permit, or of a national identity card issued by their own country in the case of EU citizens, and resident within Italian borders. In accordance with the new provisions of Legislative Degree 13/05/2011, there are no longer any minimum age limits.
- The application can be made at any time, in person and alone, or in the case of minors, accompanied by both parents or by a guardian.
- The applicant must bring a document indicating proof of identity and a current residence permit issued by the local Police Headquarters, or in the case of foreign nationals resident in the EU, an identity card issued in the country of origin. Also required are three recent photographs, head-and-shoulders on a white background, and bareheaded except where a veil, turban or other item must be worn for religious reasons, provided that the full face is clearly visible.
- The cost varies depending on the municipal fees. In general it is around 6 euros.
- Issue is immediate, except for particular cases.
- The card is valid for 10 years from the date of issue, for adults. This same duration also applies for existing identity cards still valid on or after 26/06/2008. Citizens who have an identity card with an expiry date between 26/06/2008 and 26/06/2013 can ask at a district Citizens Help Desk for an extension stamp to be applied to the document. The request for the extension can also be made by a person other than the holder of the card, who must produce a written proxy and a further document proving the identity of the holder. For minors, in accordance with the new provisions of Legislative Decree 13/05/2011, the duration is different, depending on the age of the minor: 3 years for children under 3 years of age; 5 years for those between 3 and 18 years.